June 5, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend in Pittsburgh/DC

Friday morning of Memorial Day weekend our dear Nashville friends Mike and Leslie Voorheis were in the area visiting Mike's dad and stopped by Pittsburgh to hang with us for a while.

We started the day with a long overdue golf lesson, which was promised to Mike and Leslie while we lived in Nashville. Neither of them had any golf experience but managed to hit the ball and get some good airtime. Then we decided to have a little more fun and gave Leslie my driver, aka 'The Big Dog'. In the video below, Leslie had been strenuously trying for over five minutes to crush 'The Big Dog'.



Leslie working the impact bag. She was a very focused student.



Later we walked the north shore river trail to eat lunch and to monkey around.



Finally Mike surprised us with a new game day/pool time outfit.


Friday afternoon of Memorial Day weekend Tuff and I drove to Washington DC to visit our college friends Chris and Tsveta Polhemus. Just last summer we were celebrating their wedding.

Wow, DC is full of things to do and with only three days we only scratched the surface. Our first stop was the White House. Tuff and I were surprised at how small it was.



This guy protests full time outside the White House.


If you've been to DC many of these monuments will look familiar.

Jefferson Memorial


Lincoln Memorial

Washington Memorial picture taken from Lincoln Memorial


WWII Memorial with Washington Memorial in background



We stopped to see four of nineteen Smithsonian Museums; American History Museum, Natural History Museum, American Indian Museum, and Air and Space Museum. We did these in one day but both felt each museum needed a day.

Natural History Museum

Air and Space Museum


That's me in the sunglasses!


Inside the American Indian Museum. This display names all 562 recognized tribal entities, including Crow, which Tuff is pointing at. We could not find Northern Cheyenne.

We had to have Indian Tacos while at the American Indian Museum. The cafeteria has options of Indian foods from all regions, including Minnesota's wild rice.


For our second day in DC we took a day trip with Chris and Tsveta to Annapolis, Maryland. I really enjoyed this trip. Annapolis is home of the Naval Academy, which is the third oldest college in the United States. We had the opportunity to go through part of campus and see what life is like going to school there.



Tuff impressively impersonated the mascot.



The next day we went to Georgetown, an old neighborhood of DC. We stopped by the Old Stone House, built in 1765, which is the oldest standing building in DC. Inside the kitchen was just a giant fire place and of course there were no bathrooms. Each room had a fireplace.


The same day we visited the Smithsonian National Zoo. The coolest thing about DC is that all the sight seeing we did was free, including the zoo.

Tuff and I had to take a picture of this. If you look closely at the monkey on the left, you'll see why.


Sloth Bear. He was so funny and very entertaining for the zoo-goers.


Red Panda. Tuff and I wanted to take this little guy home.


Since last weekend Tuff had another week of OTA's and has two weeks left.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! Miss Mary you are a fashion diva! I love the blue outfit and the hat in the red outfit is to die for! Patrick and I are heading to DC for the 4th of July so this was great to see beforehand!

    PS You have to teach me how to post videos! Too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds and looks like you had a great trip. Each time I visit DC I'm amazed just how much there is to do and see. I know that Chris & Tsveti enjoyed your visit.

    ReplyDelete